The Atlantic Golf & Country Club was chartered in 1914 with Harry M. Finkbine as president. His brothers Fred, Dell, and Howard Herbert all contributed in starting the course.
The course covered 10 acres of land which was rented for $20 per acre. It had three holes with three small cement greens and horses were used to care for the fairways. A few years later, a tractor was donated to help with maintaining the course. In 1925, Mr. and Mrs. Finkbine installed windows and a porch to the original clubhouse.
The initial membership fee was $25 and the annual dues were $25 per year. The clubhouse hours were 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. weekdays and 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. on Sundays. Alcoholic beverages and gambling were not allowed on the premises and smoking was prohibited in the dining room and ladies parlor.
Other notable moments in the course’s history include the construction of a new clubhouse in 1950 and the installation of a pool in 1958. In the 1960’s, the club added a dining room, bar and upstairs apartment. The original nine holes were expanded to 18 holes in 1975 after the club purchased land from the Dolch family. In 2001, the course added watered fairways.